[CT Birds] White-winged dove 2/23/07

Sunshine sunny19682 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 08:49:42 EST 2007

I hope this is ok to do but I wanted to say how totally thrilled I am to be
able to share my sighting with you and for the creation of this discussion
board.  I can't express how wonderful it has been to meet many nice folks
from all over and share the sighting with them as well as those whom I have
known for quite some time.  I'll thank Noble Proctor for his enthusiasm as a
college professor and being a driving force in developing my interests in
the natural world.  Mark, thank you for sharing some wonderful photography
tips.  I was just chatting with a friend who is also an artist and I wish
she could have seen your field sketches.  To Gina and all I have been in
contact with lately, thank you for sharing your expertise and being such
wonderful folks to talk birds and all else with.

As for the bird itself, I did want to post that while observing it that I
took note of a deep pink or lavender "blush" over the top of the bird's head
as well as some yellowish iridescence on the neck - it's most visible when
the light catches it just right.  Could this possibly indicate a male bird?
My research on the Cornell Birding website and in both Sibley and Peterson
Field Guides does not denote differences between the sexes.

I look forward to hearing more about the bird.  It was here this morning
amid a large grouping of Mourning Doves.

Donna Lorello

Email: sunny19682 at comcast.net