[CT Birds] house sparrows question,

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Feb 24 16:22:54 EST 2007

My house sparrow problem was never that bad, but it has been zero for
years.  What has worked for me was using the right seed.  I
completely stopped using mixed seed with millet and all those
fillers.  I even stopped using sunflower seeds, though I do use
hulled sunflower in one feeder with a cage around it.  My bulk seed
is safflower, beloved by titmice, chickadees, house finches,
cardinals and grosbeaks, but shunned by grackles and house sparrows.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT