[CT Birds] Where to find a Pileated Woodpecker?

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 17:06:04 EST 2007

Hi.
      I'm sure that many people that join this list can give you specific spots for Pileated WP's but in general I'd make a suggestion that while PWP is not uncommon in CT it is a shy bird and it does favor certain habitats over others.
    I see PWP's mostly in mature mixed deciduous/coniferous forests.  Since they favor carpenter ants for food look for a forest in your area with old, dying trees along with a large tract of unbroken healthy forest.  In my area (Guilford) I find them in forests with a mix of large White Pine and various Oak and Sugar Maple.  A good batch of dead Hemlock is a good possibility too.  If you learn to recognise their typical Carpenter ant excavation (an oblong or rectangular hole chiseled out of a tree trunk), learn their call notes and you put yourself in an old forest of some type as described you'll find them on your own!
     Here in south/central CT I bump into them at Chatfield Hollow SP (Killingworth), Branford Supply ponds(Branford), Westwoods(Guilford), Wadsworth Falls SP (Middletown).

     Redheaded WP is another story.  These are uncommon in CT.  Best bet in my experience is during Fall migration (Sept and Oct.) at Lighthouse Point during the Hawkwatch (New Haven).

                                                           Bill Yule
                                                           Guilford

Jordan Lewis <jordanl at mitchellsonline.com> wrote:
  Hi,

My wife and I would like to know where's a good place to find a Pileated
Woodpecker? Are there any known hot spots? We live in a residential
area and have seen Hairy, Downy, and Red Bellied. We'd love to add
Pileated and Red Headed to our life list.

-Thanks,

Jordan

Darien