[CT Birds] Waterfowl: And some more waterfowl

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 17:23:52 EST 2007

Hi.
    Just to add to the report below this past week in the Essex/Lyme section of the CT river at the CT River Museum dock and aboard the RiverQuest Eagle Boat trips we've been seeing the following fowl; Not huge numbers but good diversity.
  Ruddy Ducks(10-15)
  Lesser Scaup (3)
  Canvasback(4)
  Common Merganser (200++)
  Hooded Merganse (2 pair)
  RB Merganser (2-4)
  Bufflehead(10-12)
  Common Goldeneye (50-100))
  Ringneck Duck(3)
  Longtailed Duck (2)
  ...also..
  American Coot
  A giant male Mallard hybrid that we've taken to naming "Duck-goose", since he will associate only with the Domestic geese at the town dock in Essex.

                                                                   Bill Yule

Chasbarnard at aol.com wrote:
  There have been impressive numbers of some waterfowl species lately. This
morning, (Saturday, Feb. 24), there were at least 80 lesser scaup at Captain's
Cove in Black Rock Harbor, Bridgeport. Among them were 3 redheads, two drakes
and a hen.

Outside the harbor, a few more scaup were diving for dinner. Some could be
seen coming up with and then swallowing sea lettuce. The brant eat a lot of
that too.

Other impressive numbers included 110 ring-necked ducks at the Trap Falls
Reservoir in Shelton a couple of days ago, on Thursday, Feb.22. Also present at
the reservoir were 1 red-necked grebe, a horned grebe, pied--billed grebe,
red-throated loon, a few ruddy ducks and a drake Northern pintail. Thanks to
Dennis Varza for tipping me off to these birds at Trap Falls. None of these birds
could be found this morning, but they may be moving around and will return.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford, CT.