[CT Birds] W-w Dove provenance

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 19:20:07 EST 2007

>From Greg Hanisek

  I just got back from a week's vacation and haven't had a chance to see the White-winged Dove in Branford yet. Since questions of origin have been raised, I thought some information would be useful.
      White-winged Dove (along with several other dove species) is undergoing a dramatic expansion in North America. An excellent summary appears in the Changing Seasons report in North American Birds Vol. 59 No. 3 2005. (Anyone interested in status and distribution of birds on our continent should definitely subscribe). In addition to expansion of numbers and breeding range northward in the West, birds were reported in 11 states east of the Mississippi in spring 2005. In spring 2006 they were reported in 8 states and 2 Canadian provinces (Newfoundland and Nova Scotia) east of the Mississippi.
     I also had occasion to talk recently to someone who raises doves and pigeons. He told me White-winged Doves are not favored by dove and pigeon faciers in the Northeast, and he is unaware of any kept in Connecticut.
      On the other hand, the seasonal aspect of the Branford bird is unusual. Most out-of-range reports occur in spring or fall, with the biggest recent movements reported in May.
     As far as other doves go, Eurasian Collared Dove appears to be settling in as far northeast as southern Virginia (with scattered records northward), and Inca Doves were reported as far afield as Missouri in 2006.