[CT Birds] More Fox Sparrow and others

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:40:10 EDT 2007

>From Scott Kruitbosch:
3/19 - Fairfield Audubon Sanctuary - 1 WINTER WREN

Took a brief walk into the Audubon Sanctuary and found a nice sample of
birds:
1 Winter Wren
1 Fox Sparrow (more!)
1 Hermit Thrush
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 Pileated Woodpecker (heard while I looked at some of it's very fresh
holes)
And Crows, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, White-throats, Juncos, White-breasted
Nuthatch, Chickadees, Titmice, and plenty of Robins.

Back at home I found 3 Fox Sparrows under the feeders and 40 or so Robins
still using the yard/driveway. The problem here today is that I have a large
flock (over 100) of Grackles, Redwings, Cowbirds, and Starlings, who all
seem intent on staying, which obviously drives off the other birds. I'll be
putting out some fruit in other places in the yard this afternoon - but the
squirrels seem to be the ones enjoying the raisins the most so far.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
kbosch at gmail.com