[CT Birds] Fox Sparrows In Somers As Well

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Mon Mar 19 19:19:49 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have had fox sparrows at my feeder the past couple days here in Somers as well.  It is neat to watch them "scratch" in the snow with both feet at the same time!  Also had 2 red-breasted nuthatches on the feeder Sat.

Have also been enjoying all the bird life in and around the farm pond on Ninth District and Hutton Rd. this winter:  northern pintail, green wing teal, american widgeon, canvasback, common merganser, hooded merganser, ring necked ducks (a pair today) mallards, black ducks and of course 100's of geese and many ringbilled gulls as well as killdeer and horned larks and a Wilson's snipe (just the past couple days) along the edge.

I made a new purchase of a car window mount for my spotting scope and have found it even more useful than I thought.  Sure is nice to stay in the warm car out of the wind and still get close up views of the birds.

Jan