[CT Birds] American Woodcocks!

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:28:10 EDT 2007

>From Scott Kruitbosch:
3/19 - Stratford yard - 2 AMERICAN WOODCOCK

I got a call at about 6:10 tonight from my father at my grandmother's house;
it's a fantastic property, with old forest and protected wetlands on it,
featuring a small trickle of a stream. He was looking for a recently seen
Hermit Thrush but instead found a Woodcock in the wetlands. I raced over
there and found the Woodcock still there with several other common species.
While watching and taking pictures, I found a second foraging with it! They
were fantastic to see together. The interaction was very amusing - one would
chase the other briefly (they were faster than you'd think), they would
fence a bit with their bills, and they'd hop around in little flights. They
stayed until we could barely see them and are presumably still there. I will
definitely keep checking the area this week.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
kbosch at gmail.com