[CT Birds] ??Iceland x Thayer's?? - Manchester

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 21:01:31 EDT 2007

>From Tim Antanaitis:
  3/19 - Manchester, in the abandoned Bradlee's Plaza parking lot near where Broad St meets Green Manor Blvd, 4:45 - 5:15 pm -- what is probably a dark juvenile KUMLIEN'S ICELAND GULL.  I've seen Iceland Gulls before, but never one this dark.  The all-dark bill seemed too big for Iceland.  The entire bird (including primaries) had an overall gray-brown color, except for the head which was lighter - a hooded appearance, especially when sitting.  Body size was slightly smaller than the nearby Herrings, but looked a tad bigger than the Icelands I've seen.  I'm not really into gulls, but this one caught my eye when I saw it in flight from the ATM of the American Eagle Credit Union (no dark in the primaries).  Luckily, I had my scope with me.  I couldn't rule out a Thayer's or a Thayer's x Iceland or a 1st winter Herring with abnormally light primaries, so if any of you gull-getters are in the area, I'm curious what you think.  It was with a group of about 100 gulls.  How
 frustrating.  When does one decide it's time to get into ID-ing gulls anyway?