[CT Birds] Stebbins Refuge, Longmeadow

designamm at aol.com designamm at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 07:50:26 EDT 2007

For those of you who do not subscribe to MASSBird or ABC Bird News of WM there have been numerous post about the large numbers of waterbirds visible close to road in small area of thawed pond at Fannie Stebbins Refuge, Longmeadow MA just 5 minutes from CT border. With last nights cold I suspect numbers should still be good. I went by last night and saw Pintail, Widgeon, Green-winged, Wood, Black, Mallard, Mute and Canada. Other recent sightings of interest include, Dowitcher, Fox Sparrow(West Road) and Marsh Sparrow. Also, the suet cake and sprinkled mix seed at same location has been like a mob scene. Again, close to road and excellent place to photograph; Downey, Hairy, Red-bellied, White-breasted, Titmice, Chickadee, Cardinals, Song, White-throat, Tree, Red-winged, Grackle, Starling.

Directions from points south of CT/MA line
Merge onto I-91 N toward SPRINGFIELD.
Take the US-5 exit- EXIT 49- toward LONGMEADOW / MASS.
Take the US-5 N ramp toward LONG MEADOW MASS.
Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto ENFIELD ST / US-5. Continue to follow US-5 (Crossing into MASSACHUSETTS).
Turn LEFT onto BARK HAUL RD.
Turn RIGHT onto PONDSIDE RD.

Maps of Refuge:
http://www.massbird.org/Allen/map.htm