[CT Birds] American Woodcock and Fox Sparrows

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:10:21 EDT 2007

Jayne and all,

Those of you who haven't had a Fox Sparrow sighting may have hope yet - I
hit my high-water mark of five today at 6:15PM. There were no signs of
Woodcock in the wetlands, or the Hermit Thrush for that matter. The snow
melt seems to be opening up other feeding. It was a quiet day other than the
Fox Sparrows and a flyover of about 12 Monk Parakeets, followed by the late
afternoon feeding by three of them on my suet. They stopped by several times
this winter but always ate seed, not suet. A pair of Hooded Merganser on a
small neighborhood pond was a nice site too.

I'm glad that Woodcock is doing better; hopefully there weren't too many
others like that poor little guy other there this week. Between getting hit
by cars and starving, the Robins and Woodcock (and some others) must lose
some decent numbers in late snowstorms like this. I never really took notice
of it in past winters, mainly because I have a long commute now that I
didn't before, but I saw some Robins killed by cars, and thousands of birds
at the side of the road.

Scott Kruitbosch