[CT Birds] 3/21 - Hartford area gulling

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:48:50 EDT 2007

>From Nick Bonomo and E.J. Raynor:
3/21 - Manchester, Manchester Landfill -- first-winter GLAUCOUS GULL
Windsor, Windsor/Bloomfield Landfill -- adult ICELAND GULL, 2
"NELSON'S" GULLS (GlaucousxHerring hybrid; a first winter and a second
winter)

E.J. and I started around 11:15am by stopping at the old Bradlee's lot
in Manchester where Tim Antanaitis reported a probable dark 1w Iceland
Gull on the 19th. We only had a handful of gulls, nothing interesting.
This may be better morning/evening as a roosting spot.

We then checked out the Manchester Landfill where one of the first
birds we looked at was the Glaucous. Only about 50 gulls overall at
this location.

Arrived at the Windsor/Bloomfield Landfill a bit after noon to find
several thousand gulls still visiting this location! Numbers were no
less than what we had 6 weeks ago, so about 3000 birds. Diversity was
lower than previous visits (probably because we're getting late in the
gulling season?), but we only spent a couple hours here. This place
still holds a ton of potential and deserves more than a couple hours
of birding in order to sort through everything.

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT