[CT Birds] March 21

Len J Kendall lnken at juno.com
Wed Mar 21 21:13:58 EDT 2007

I had the chance to bird most of the day from Chester down to Branford.
Nice to get out as I don't get the opportunity too often anymore. Roger
Preston and Tom Yanik joined me on this first day of Spring. We found the
swans on the small pond just before you get to Cedar Lake. Bonaparte
Gulls were seen ( 3) from Dock and Dine and we had decent, albeit
distant, looks at the Rough-legged Hawk over at Great Island. Ospreys
were very active in reasonable numbers. Westbrook Middle Beach produced
the Iceland Gull and it was on to Hammo and then Branford. Not much at
Hammo while we were around so on to 2 Shady Lane in search of the
White-winged Dove. We struck out but, there was a nice array of birds
around the neighborhood, including 2 Woodcock in the back yard of the
house across the street . I guess we arrived too early ( 3:30 PM ) to get
the dove but we had 15 species during our stay.

Len Kendall
Simsbury, CT