[CT Birds] Fox Sparrow size:

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 22 10:44:53 EDT 2007

From: Paul Carrier-

With all the Fox Sparrows being seen here in CT, I just might  find an answer to a question posted
below from someone who might know:

I have had 2-3 Fox Sparrows off and on for 2 weeks now below my feeders. Today, one was next to a
Song Sparrow on the ground, and both birds, being studied closely with eyes and bins, appeared to
be almost exactly the same size in length and build. Same was true when two Fox Sps were together;
Their was a very noticeable size difference between the two. Looking up in "Sparrows and Buntings
- Byers", it is described: "females are slightly smaller in size then males for the Eastern race,"
but not by so much that it would be noticed except in the hand; and at least not that much to be
equal to the size of the smaller Song Sparrow species, and their size differences described. I
personally have never seen this noticable size difference before in the past.
Any thoughts or comments from banders or others on this?