[CT Birds] woodcock mortality

Miley Bull mbull at ctaudubon.org
Thu Mar 22 15:27:07 EDT 2007

Woodcock are apparently dying in considerable numbers across the northeast
this spring due to a crusted snowpack isolating these early migrants from
the soil and earthworms below.  We have had calls throughout CT from members
and wildlife rehabilitators reporting dead and emaciated woodcock in numbers
I haven't seen in similar past events, and those are only the ones that are
discovered!  This is not a good sign, considering woodcock are on a
long-term decline as it is.  Hopefully, the snow will continue to melt
quickly and larger areas of bare ground will become available by this
weekend.

Milan Bull