[CT Birds] woodcock mortality

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Thu Mar 22 16:05:34 EDT 2007

Gary and I saw several woodcocks yesterday at a wetland along side the road where the snow melted quickly.

  Carol
Miley Bull <mbull at ctaudubon.org> wrote:
  Woodcock are apparently dying in considerable numbers across the northeast
this spring due to a crusted snowpack isolating these early migrants from
the soil and earthworms below. We have had calls throughout CT from members
and wildlife rehabilitators reporting dead and emaciated woodcock in numbers
I haven't seen in similar past events, and those are only the ones that are
discovered! This is not a good sign, considering woodcock are on a
long-term decline as it is. Hopefully, the snow will continue to melt
quickly and larger areas of bare ground will become available by this
weekend.

Milan Bull