[CT Birds] Bird Thugs

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:41:52 EDT 2007

I would love to know how big that sample size was - "clearly it is
retaliation" is an assumption without proof, unless I'm missing something.
The researchers even stated they did not witness the cowbirds destroy the
nest/eggs. It could have been a coincidence with many other species of
birds, or even mammals/snakes, committing the acts. Or maybe the act of
removing the cowbird eggs from those nests by researchers caused something
else. Catbirds recognize the eggs, but they do not suffer this same fate,
correct? In my opinion, I think the simplest answer of the fact the parents
do not recognize the foreign egg(s) still sounds good - but I'd love to hear
other thoughts.

And speaking of Bird Thugs - the top thugs, European Starlings, have an even
bigger bully here - Monk Parakeets. One Starling was trying to eat my suet
today while a Parakeet was trying to climb onto the cage. It decided it
couldn't fit on the cage with the Starling, and it couldn't push it off very
well, so it bit down on the Starling's leg as it held onto the cage. He flew
off as fast as he could. It's been a week full of pests in addition to the
rarities.

Scott Kruitbosch