[CT Birds] Need Help With Duck ID

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Mar 22 21:37:57 EDT 2007

Waterfowl are noted for readily hybridizing, but mallards especially are
also noted for breeding with various domestic types. The one you describe is
fairly typical of hybrids that appear to involve a mallard and some sort of
white domestic duck. The big, heavy look is a good clue in addition to
plumage that doesn't quite fit for any wild duck. The big heavy look also
helps for zeroing in on barnyard geese that have plumage reminiscent of a
wild speces, such as Greater White-fronted Goose.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury