[CT Birds] Fox Sparrow size:

david bingham dbbingham at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 22 23:51:01 EDT 2007

My visiting Fox Sparrows have all been significantly bigger than the Song
Sparrow and my other winter regulars (Tree, Field, House). In fact the
larger size often alerts me to their presence before their characteristic
feeding pattern. They are rarely at the feeding grounds alone, being wary
and one of the last birds to "join the crowd." I have never seen them on the
platform feeder, but only feeding on the ground, most likely on seeds
scattered under a bushy area. They may even shun the seed if it is too much
in the open, and stay feeding on natural food on the ground in brushy areas
(especially under evergreen shrubs like inkberry or laurel while other birds
gorge on seed nearby. They seem to prefer millet seed.
David Bingham