[CT Birds] Konold's Pond - Woodbridge; 3/23

Alex Coffey coughster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:21:43 EDT 2007

Heralding true spring, Konold's Pond was absolutely ice-free for the first
time I've seen this season...
Looked for the Lesser Scaup seen recently, but without a scope, 'twas
without hope (got only myself to blame for rhymes so lame). I can safely say
that every Aythya that I got a good look at was a RND.

Out on the water:
Ring-necked Duck (still most numerous waterfowl species @ location)
American Black Duck (3-5ish seen)
Mallard
Wood Duck (scattered but numerous)
Hooded Merganser (maybe 10-15 birds scattered)
*Turtle (sp.) on floating frags/mud/whatever
Canada Goose (FOUR INDIVIDUALS seen on pond vs. the large mass that has been
present for the past few weeks. N.B. On way home, many Canadas were seen on
the cornfields opposite the Woodbridge fire station)
Great Blue Heron (2 adult individuals)
Mute Swan (plenty)
Ring-billed Gull (much less than the past few weeks)
Common Merganser (tight group of 20-30 birds)
Northern Pintail (1 adult male - far off)

Other birds in vicinity:
Turkey Vulture (4 or so above West Rock)
American Robin
Red-winged Blackbird
Song Sparrow
House Sparrow
Northern Mockingbird
Blue Jay
Mourning Dove
Common Grackle
(SO HAPPY THAT I DIDN'T SEE OR HEAR ANY STARLINGS - always a treat)

--Alex Coffey
Woodbridge