[CT Birds] Longspur - No, Little, Iceland, Black-headed Gulls - Yes

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 17:14:52 EDT 2007

  A little surprised at the muted turnout today looking for the Longspur. It wasn't relocated by 4.00pm and by which time even the hardiest had given up looking I think. There were however a few nice birds to be had in the vicinity, Meadowlarks and Wilson's Snipe aplenty at Sherwood Island as well as 3 Black Vultures.

 As the searchers panned out 1 BLACK-HEADED GULL was discovered just down the road at Southport Beach (as found by Charlie Barnard - loafing on the flats at low tide with 200+ Bonaparte's) and then whilst looking for the Longspur at Compo Beach Nic Bonomo and I saw the regular ICELAND and I found 1 adult LITTLE GULL (look east from the cannons).

 Some consolation for the lack of Longspur. There was also a second adult LITTLE GULL in CT today as found by Julian Hough at Oyster River - which couldn't be relocated later in the day.

 Luke Tiller
 Wilton CT