[CT Birds] Cowbird observations (and English sparrows)

david bingham dbbingham at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 24 17:35:16 EDT 2007

Roy is right that in winter the cowbirds flock and they disperse in spring.
But they still tend to disperse to areas in which their niche for food is
found, and my point is that in 60 years of living in this location, that
niche has dramatically changed, mostly in that the numbers of domestic
animals (that used to outnumber people 10:1 or more) is drastically reduced.

Go to any horse farm or dairy or sheep farm later this spring and you will
see numbers of cowbirds in with the livestock (not the huge flocks of
winter, but numerous). Go to abandoned farms where there are no longer any
livestock, and the numbers of cowbirds, English sparrows and starlings seem
greatly reduced or gone altogether. It may just be in my neighborhood, and
this is a casual observation not a scientific survey, but it might be
worthwhile to study.

If I am right, then those people who have a horse in their back pasture are
bringing more than just hayseed and close-cropped pastures in to that local
environment. They may want to consider the other significant environmental
changes that they may also be inducing, inadvertently.
David Bingham