[CT Birds] S. Winsor waterfowl, shrike

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 22:14:26 EDT 2007

>From Tim Antanaitis:
  3/23 - South Windsor, Ferry Lane -- 1 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, 1 NORTHERN PINTAIL
  3/24 - South Windsor, Newberry Road, Station 43 -- 1 adult NORTHERN SHRIKE, 10 NORTHERN PINTAIL

  also 3/23 Ferry Lane in the flooded fields:
  40 GREEN-WINGED TEAL
  70 WOOD DUCKS
  15 AM. BLACK DUCKS
  80 MALLARDS
  400 CANADA GEESE
  4 KILLDEER
  The GWFG was flying solo and constantly calling.  It's the latest (after winter) I've seen GWFG in CT.

  also 3/24 Station 43 at dusk:
  130 RING-NECKED DUCKS
  50 WOOD DUCKS
  12 GREEN-WINGED TEAL
  6 COMMON MERGANSERS
  6 HOODED MERGANSERS
  4 AMERICAN WIGEON
  7 AM. BLACK DUCKS
  85 MALLARDS
  170 CANADA GEESE
  1 MUTE SWAN
  18 TREE SWALLOWS
  2 AMERICAN WOODCOCK
  1 GREAT BLUE HERON
  I know there's been a March (I don't know what year or where) report of Loggerhead Shrike,
  but this one had the narrow eye mask, plus there's been at least one Northern hanging out
  around the fields near the CT River in South Windsor the entire winter.  Also the latest I've seen N. Shrike in CT before they head north to breed.