[CT Birds] Boney & small gull info,

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Sun Mar 25 21:12:52 EDT 2007

All -

I'd like to add in a few tips on ID'ing the smaller gulls, especially when
seen sitting quietly on the mudflats.    In flight, Little Gull is totally
unique both from above or below.    A flying Bonaparte's Gull, depending on
the viewing angle and quality of the lighting, can look like it has dark
under the wingtips, but Black-headed ALWAYS shows the dark on the underside
primaries.

Right now, Black-headed adults should show full or nearly-full head color
(really a dark chocolate-brown, not black).   I photo-documented one of the
1980s Old Saybrook birds that went from basic (winter) plumage to alternate
(breeding) plumage in 19 days!     If you find an individual that does NOT
have breeding plumage, it will certainly show the red bill and legs,
contrasting with the black bill of Bonaparte's and fleshy or orange legs.
If they are all sitting on the mud or calm water with heads tucked in, as
long as they are all facing the same direction, the mantle color of
Black-headed is a few shades lighter than Bonaparte's, and it is slightly
larger and bulkier.

I never saw a CT Little Gull with breeding plumage, but in basic it always
has a very dark crown or "cap", like a Wilson's Warbler, not smudgy dark
like on some Bonies.    The Little Gull also has gray from the mantle that
extends down the sides of the breast in front of the wings, ending at the
waterline.    The folded wingtips do not show black primaries from above as
do the Bonies.    Little will be REALLY little - noticeably smaller than the
Bonies, whether sitting or flying.

A Ross' Gull would be very small, with a big head, stubby thick black bill,
and a dark eye that appears to be very large in proportion to the face.
It may or may not show color underneath, and the tail-shape is probably only
visible in flight.    The underwing pattern of Ross' seems to be variable,
but if it is flying, the small size and tail shape will give it away.

I checked Old Saybrook today about 11:30 - Noon, and only had scattered
groups of Bonies.   Looks like they are all to the western LIS right now.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net