[CT Birds] Surveying WHIP-POOR-WILL'S

snaketat at cox.net snaketat at cox.net
Mon Apr 16 10:07:48 EDT 2007

I need to survey an area in Eastern CT for Whip-poor-wills.  There are historical records of them in the area I am surveying.  I know they will be arriving soon but when is the optimal time (dates)  to start looking/listening for them.  Also, do Whip-poor-wills still vocalize once the eggs are laid?  Do they vocalize throughout the summer as well?  Typically what is the best time of day to listen for them?  What conditions do the prefer (full moon, no moon, etc.)?  Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Kleinman