[CT Birds] Surveying WHIP-POOR-WILL'S

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Apr 16 12:21:13 EDT 2007

Hi Brian:
There are a few on-line resources that migt be helpful to you:
Includes some methodology:
http://www.nhaudubon.org/pdf/2005-whippoorwillsurveyresults.pdf
http://www.nhaudubon.org/pdf/2006-nightjar-survey.pdf

The CT DEP also has done Whip-Poor-Will surveys and could perhaps share their protocols.   One tricky point is that calling is not necessarily indicative of good breeding territory and may just indicate that a male is still searching for a mate.

Here is a link to instructions and a survey form from the Mass DFW:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/nhesp/whip_instr.htm
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/nhesp/whip_form.pdf

The species management abstract from TNC is a bit sparse, but does list some references:
http://conserveonline.org/docs/2001/06/wpwi.doc

If you care to dig deeper, there was an article discussing moonlight and detection rates in JFO a few years back, but that was likley taken in to account in the development of the Mass and NH survey protocols:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1557-9263.2006.00042.x?cookieSet=1&journalCode=jofo

Hope this is a help.

Sincerely,

Patrick Comins, Meriden