[CT Birds] Surveying WHIP-POOR-WILL'S

recoverywing at cox.net recoverywing at cox.net
Mon Apr 16 12:31:25 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I cannot answer all your questions, but I can tell you my experience with them. Up until 2006, every summer for 13 years we had them present on our property. I could time their arrival each year with the blooming of our cherry trees., which is around thelast week of April, weather depending. Not only  did their arrival time with the bloom but I would hear them calling and locate them among the branches.

We would hear them calling all summer long up until September, but do not know the breeding status of them. Hope this helps.

Jayne Amico/Southington

Last fall/winter there was significant developing behind us and that may be why we did not have any birds last summer, although I did hear one at arrival time just very far away.

Jayne amico/Southington