[CT Birds] Surveying WHIP-POOR-WILL'S

Linda & Steve Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Mon Apr 16 17:35:26 EDT 2007

Brian,

Regarding Whip-poor-will, area birding expertise holds that this
species shows up on territory at the Lake Wintergreen red maple
swamp, Hamden, CT (the Lake Wintergreen parcel of West Rock Ridge
State Park) by April 18.  Calling begins at twilight to early
darkness.  I think it's accurate to say that newly arriving migrants
are easier to document than are nesting birds.  By the time of our
summer bird counts, the first or second week in June, the Whip-poor-
wills tend to kick in with their calls by ca. 9:00 P.M..  If you
don't have a copy of the January 2005 issue of The Connecticut
Warbler, which contains Greg Hanisek's "Connecticut Birds by the
Season," you should pick this publication up (through COA or at one
of our fine bird supply stores).  The chart for Whip-poor-will shows
breeding occurring from circa the second week in May through circa
the first week in July.

On Cape Cod, Whip-poor-wills do call well into summer, although the
populations here have decline significantly in the last half
century.  One is more likely to hear them these days from Atlantic
White Cedar Swamps than from their former distributions in Pitch Pine-
Scrub Oak forests.  In my childhood, the calling of Whip-poor-will
signaled the time for my brother and me to go to bed.  Eight o'clock
was the usual time for singing to begin.  (Of course, it gets dark
earlier on the Outer Cape than it does in Connecticut.)  I suspect
that in my old age, any remaining forest birds will again signal
bedtime.

Good luck with your survey work.  You have an opportunity to gather
some important information about this Connecticut "Special Concern"
species.

Steve Broker
Cheshire