[CT Birds] Possible Sooty tern recovered

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 19:13:51 EDT 2007

 Jayne:

 If you check Connecticut Birds by Zeranski and Baptist, you'll note that there were, at the book's publication in 1990, 18 CT records for Sooty Tern including 12 specimens. Inland records include birds from Torrington and Granby. Most of these, however, are from late July to early October. I don't know of any records from this early in the year. Make sure you save the carcass. Also, make sure you eliminate the possibility of Bridled Tern, a pelagic species that has been reported, I believe, at Falkner's Island after a tropical storm. This would be even more unusual. I just came back from cruising Nepaug Reservoir looking for storm birds, but all I saw were Mallards and Canada Geese!

 Jay Kaplan
 Canton