[CT Birds] Possible Sooty tern recovered

jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 16 21:52:23 EDT 2007

I took a look at Sage, Bishop, and Bliss (1913).  They noted 7 records,
which I assume, are included in the 18 that Zeranski and Baptist referenced.
Couple interesting notes from the 1913 book.....  5 of 7 records occurred in
1876.  Dates are not specific, but noted between "summer" and Sept.  Almost
all died gruesome deaths.  A couple ran into things - wharfs and lighthouses
(Faulkner Island).  One was stoned to death in Stony Creek and another was
"knocked down with an oar in Stanford Harbor".  So much for considering them
the "good ol' days".

Also 5 of the 7 were coastal with the exceptions being Granby and
Torrington.

Thanks,
JT

John Triana