[CT Birds] Batterson Pond and environs, 4/17

Peregrine Information Consultants info at peregrineinfo.com
Tue Apr 17 09:54:08 EDT 2007

Thanks to Paul, now I know that those light gulls I saw at Batterson Pond just now (9:30am) were Bonaparte's. (Gulls remain a challenge for me.) A few of them were engaged in a lengthy skirmish with one and two crows, over the water. Wonder what that was all about? I didn't see any food items in dispute.

Also on the pond were about 25 sleepy Ruddy Ducks, drifing with the current. A Pied-Billed Grebe was keeping them company, bobbing and diving around them. There is also a lovely drake Mallard on the pond, with the brightest green I've ever seen on a Mallard.

I also heard a Bluebird around the lawns on the north end, but did not see it. A robust Northern Flicker was feeding on the ground nearby - one of my very favorite birds, so dapper and bold. I love its magnificent bill, so beautifully proportioned to its task and to the bird's body.

A lonely Ring-Necked Duck was all by itself on the Farmington Reservoir nearby.

Just a bit further down the road, a sole drake Wood Duck was resting and feeding in the tiny pond on Diamond Glen Road. I see Wood Ducks here every spring. The peepers were singing there this morning, too. This is also a very good spot for Wood Thrushes in the summer, and an occasional Hermit Thrush in the spring.

On the West Hartford reservoir near the Farmington line yesterday, I saw Ring-Necked Ducks, Bufflehead, and Common and Red-Breasted Mergansers. along with really stunning Killdeer on the lawn. Such a striking bird - I was looking at it face to face, with those wonderful stripes like prison garb. Great bird.

Sarah Johnston
Farmington