[CT Birds] 4/17 Batterson Pond Visit

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Wed Apr 18 09:44:11 EDT 2007

I too had a chance to visit Batterson Pond yesterday for an hour around 4PM.
Saw the Bonies zipping around over the rough waves.  First time I have seen
them in their breeding plumage with their black heads.  Also saw the ruddys,
(tried to educate another "future" birder in the area to the fact that they
were indeed ducks and not, as she thought, Canada geese goslings by letting
her look in my scope), pied bill grebe, several common mergansers, a
bufflehead pair, and a common loon in full breeding plumage, most striking.

Jan