[CT Birds] 4/18 Ruddy Ducks, Batterson Pond, Farmington

Peregrine Information Consultants info at peregrineinfo.com
Wed Apr 18 10:28:32 EDT 2007

The Ruddy Ducks are still at Batterson Pond in Farmington this morning (4/18, 10 am). They were just a few feet off the shore on Batterson Park Rd, just down the hill from the intersection with Two Mile Road, affording excellent opportunities for very close observation and photography. Males are changing to breeding plumage. Very dapper ducks.

Glad I bought lots of suet weeks ago and stashed it in the freezer - the downy woodpeckers fed steadily throughout the storm. A group of five (two males, three females) have been visiting our feeders since October.

Heard an Eastern Phoebe this morning (saw one in March), and saw a Northern Mockingbird (FOY for me, although I think some winter over).

Sarah Johnston
Farmington