[CT Birds] Hammonasset Beach S.P. birds - Wed morning 4/18

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Wed Apr 18 12:56:57 EDT 2007

Hi all -

A quick pass through the park about 10am (relatively high tide) found no Ibis at all.   There were work crews removing storm wrack from the Meig's Pt parking lot and also the new marsh area by where the Laz Bunting was this winter (near Main Pavilion), so that area was deserted.

There were no gulls other than Herring / Ring-billed, but a Great Egret was at the Swan Pond (Chase Pond) and 6 Greater Yellowlegs in a flooded portion of the parking lot directly opposite the entrance to the West Beach parking lot - back by the barriers to the Campground.   Another Great Egret flew by as I was photographing the Yellowlegs.

Up at Meig's Pt., a Snowy Egret was in the marsh, and I saw a first for me at Hammo - 4 Brant grazing on the grass in the parking lot!    I have never seen one on dry land at Hammo.   Cool.   They were alert and cautious, but allowed me to get some decent photos.

Off to TX today, then LA for the ABA Convention, so you know what that means - something GOOD will show up here as soon as I'm gone, and I'll miss it.   Look at the record - Swallow-tailed Kite, Eurasian Kestrel, Red-footed Falcon, Mongolian Plover......you get the picture.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net

PS - In the interest of fairness, I did get the Euro Kestrel when it re-appeared the final time, but I dipped on all the others.