[CT Birds] White-faced Ibis H.B.S.P - YES

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 14:22:03 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Thanks to Rene the list serve finally worked the way I hoped it might. Fantastic sighting this morning allowing a lunchtime break jaunt to Hammo for the EcoTravel crew to twitch the bird on a quick tick and run. Nice views of the White-faced Ibis around the West Beach parking lot. First seen in puddles by picnic pavilion number 2, the group then relocated to puddles within the campground area behind the furthest ballfields in the West Beach area (there are a few people in the park today which seemed to be spooking the birds). I last saw it at about 1.30pm when we left.

There were at least two groups of Ibis in the park totaling about 40 birds and they were fairly mobile. As far as description of the bird itself it had a pinky/red face patch with no white surrounding it. The leg coloration was pinky-reddish but was more prominent around the joints. I'm guessing that these features would indicate a first spring bird but I can't seem to find that illustrated anywhere. Also there was a Little Blue Heron in the little pool/marsh down near Willard's Island.

Luke Tiller
Wilton & Essex