[CT Birds] 4/18 Station 43 South Windsor, Virginia Rail

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Wed Apr 18 22:54:54 EDT 2007

Before attending the 3rd lecture in the HAS birding series at Wood Memorial
Library I thought I would check out the birds on the pond at Station 43.
Well the pond is now part of the Connecticut River and all the roads leading
there were closed but since I had nothing else to do for an hour I set up
the scope on a grassy knoll at the edge of the Water Co property on Vibert
Rd which also now happens to be the edge of the swollen river.

In or around the water were:  pair wood ducks, pair mallard, several tree
sparrows, few white throated sparrows, 2 killdeer, several red wing
blackbirds, lots of robins, 1 mockingbird, 2 muskrats, and I could see 1
great horned owlet in the nest with 1 adult.  But the bird of the evening
was 1 VIRGINIA RAIL searching for food along the edge of the water not 20
feet from me for most of the time I was there.  Really good look.

Jan