[CT Birds] Brant on Lawns

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Apr 19 09:25:14 EDT 2007

Hello All

Brant feeding on lawns is a relatively new phenomenon, since the late
80's. Brant have greatly increased in the stated over the past 40
years. In the eastern half of the state they feed on Eel Grass (Clean
Water)  and lawns, In the western part of the state they feed on Sea
Lettuce (Dirty Water)  and lawns. There is a large research project
going on comparing the energetics of the Brant on the two food sources.
Generally Brant use lawns as a supplemental food supply weather is bad.
I can imagine that the rough and high water and rough water had made
normal feeding difficult. I have seen lawn Brant at Veteran's Park  and
Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk , and Seaside Park at different times.

Dennis Varza