[CT Birds] New Britain Ospreys

ctredbird at comcast.net ctredbird at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 20:46:55 EDT 2007

I wrote a short piece in the Connecticut Warbler a couple years ago about Osprey and Monk Parakeet activity in the Willowbrook Park area, which straddles the Berlin/New Britain town line and is home to the New Britain Rock Cats baseball team and also a soccer field whose light stanchions feature a couple of Monk nests.  As I am a somewhat frequent attendee of baseball games there, I have seen and heard the Monks more often than not during the baseball season over the past couple years, though I don't know if they have successfully nested there.  The attempt has certainly been made but starlings like those stanchions as well, perhaps to the detriment of the parakeets?  I don't know.  It's hard to tell what's going on up there from the parking lot a couple hundred feet below.

Anyway, baseball season has started up again and I was pleased to note an Osprey hovering above the stanchions and soccer field around 6:45 this evening.  Looked to me like like the bird was kettling like a kestrel looking for a meal in a field.  He flew down and landed on a light pole, where a second bird was waiting, and they then danced around a bit then flew off together.  Perhaps this is a portent of a nesting attempt in Hartford County?  Time will tell, I guess.  As for the Monks, I'm not at all sure that they're around as I haven't made a concerted effort to check yet.  I believe I heard some squawking last Saturday at the game but it was hard to hear with all the noise of the game, and I did not see or hear anything over there this evening.  I'm planning on going again this weekend and will try to pay closer attention to the action off the field.  It's every bit as interesting as the going-ons inside the stadium!

Birds, baseball and sort of green grass in the outfield.  A very nice combination indeed.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT