[CT Birds] Savannah Sparrow and Kestrels at Walden Preserve, Salem 4-20

david bingham dbbingham at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 21 15:11:34 EDT 2007

We have had a male and female Kestrel at Walden Preserve (Hagen Road, Salem
CT) for the past week, so we put up a kestrel box on the south meadow
yesterday. The female started hunting for insects from that tree within 10
minutes of getting the box hung.

In Bodman Meadow at Walden (at the Parking lot field), I saw my first
Savannah Sparrow of the year, also on 4-20. Today (4-21), had 2 more
Savannahs in our field (next to Rt 82 across from Mitchell Pond) and flushed
a Snipe from a wet puddle on the field. A Pied-billed Grebe was at the Pond,
along with 3 DC Cormorants, 4 Ring-neced Ducks, 35 Canada Geese, a Black
Duck and some Mallards. 35 Cormorants heading north flew over.

David