[CT Birds] Question Regarding Nesting Birds

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 18:04:46 EDT 2007

  Both Roy and Dave Provencher have provided valuable information concerning behavior around nesting birds. Let me weigh in on this topic with a few brief comments. Most birders will use good judgment with respect to their activities so as not to stress out breeding birds, especially those nesting in close proximity to the ground. Unfortunately, there are times when the desire to build a year list sometimes gets the better of a birder, especially on a "big day." Playing songs and/or calls in close proximity to a nest site is probably not a great idea, even if there are few studies that document abandonment of the nest from playing tapes, etc. Too many birders around a nest site can lead nest predators to the nest or to fledglings that have already vacated the nest and may be in the vicinity on the ground. Unfortunately, feral cats, in particular, will often follow the scent of humans to a nest and the result is never good. Even large trees with nesting raptors or water birds like herons should not be approached for a closer view or for photography. Young birds may jump from the nest before they are ready to leave, and their prospects are not good on the ground. In short, as exciting as it may be to share your discovery of a rare nester with your friends and on this site, the more birders that walk up that powerline corridor or creep through that marsh, the less likely that species will be in successfully fledgling its young or returning in subsequent years.

 Jay Kaplan
 Canton