[CT Birds] nesting birds discussion

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 11:40:24 EDT 2007

This is a great discussion to have, especially at this time of year.
Not to mention that until now, CT has never had an open forum to post
bird reports.....so this is new territory for all of us. If ANY nest
location is known, no matter how common the species, we should go out
of our way to avoid disturbing the nesting process.

But please let's not get crazy here. Use common sense; that should be
good enough for us. No need to overreact. This is a slippery slope
either way: if we're too lax on this, people will post nests that
should not be posted and the birds will suffer; if we're too preachy
and accusatory, a simple mistake could turn into a full-blown argument
complete with "flaming" and name-calling (you may laugh but I've seen
this done on other listservs, and there is NO place for it
whatsoever). We just need to use common sense to lead to a balance of
caution and understanding.

I think the only species we have to be truly worried about are the
day-roosting owls (whether nesting season or not) and locally
threatened species. In fact, IMO, some of these species may be OK to
advertise if (and only if) the nest is inaccessible. For instance, the
nesting Peregrines in Bridgeport can only be seen by scoping from a
distance (or so I'm told...I've never looked myself). I believe
someone posted these directions already, with no negative

As for the example of nesting YCNH in Stratford, in addition to what
Chris already explained.....this is an increasing and expanding
species in no trouble (to my knowledge, anyway). No problem whatsoever
IMO.

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT