[CT Birds] reporting Kestrel locations

david bingham dbbingham at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 12:01:31 EDT 2007

My guess is that if boxes are at locations not heavily used by people,
kestrels will not be likely to abandon a nest once started. They seem fairly
oblivious to human activity (and may even be attracted by it, if we stir up
insects like I do at times on my tractor).

On the other hand, if there is a larger hawk (especially a Goshawk or
Cooper's) nesting nearby, they are likely to move on (or get eaten).

I wonder if part of the ketrel decline locally may be related to the
increase of both of these larger raptors in CT in recent years as the
forests mature (almost all CT forests were decimated in the '38 hurricane,
and it is only in recent decades that we have had large forest blocks worthy
of the name "mature").

Loss of open grassland, shrubland and wetland habitat over the years has
undoubtedly also contributed to kestrel decline, but if that were the whole
story then we would probably not have had such declines even in the open
areas that persist.

David