[CT Birds] Willowbrook Park etc.

ctredbird at comcast.net ctredbird at comcast.net
Sun Apr 22 20:22:21 EDT 2007

The Southwick, MA Osprey nesting post is pretty interesting to me since I recently wrote about I think is a nesting attempt in New Britain, CT, which if successful, would represent the first positive nesting effort of that species in Hartford County in decades.  I attended the Rock Cats' game today but left the park during the heat of the day, thankful that there WAS such a thing, and did not see either Osprey on the poles at Willowbrook Park nor soaring around.  I did, however, confirm Monk Parakeet nest building underway, having seen one Monk carrying sticks to the large nest in the far northwest light stanchion of the soccer field.  Another was calling loudly from the nearby streamside area but I never did see that bird, though I did collect a scuffed up major league ball that was launched out of the park during batting practice while looking around.  Later in the day Jay Kaplan demonstrated an impressive knuckleball using this ball, making it dance like an anglewing butterfly.
 As rare a sighting as most I recorded today, to be sure!

To remain on topicI echo Greg Hanisek's warbler comments, but thought there might be more action today than I noticed.  One thing not mentioned here is the lack of swallows around.  In ten or so hours of active inland CT birding in lots of places over the past two days I only noted 1 Barn and maybe a half dozen Tree Swallows, all ot them in the Durham Meadows area.  A slow start for them, for obvious reasons.  I hope that represents more of a repressed northward migration than the result of early birds getting whacked thanks to our crappy weather of late.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

From: "Scott Ricker" <ptbagger at verizon.net>