[CT Birds] Cromwell meadows birds and an observation of behavior.

david bingham dbbingham at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 16 00:21:34 EDT 2007

This is  in response to the several notes that have mentioned how the writer
is reluctant to "anthropomorphize" the interpretation of bird behavior:
No problem!

There has been a lot of research on bird brains and behavior, and they
display a whole range of emotions and behaviors that are very "human" (or
perhaps I should say that humans exhibit qualities that are distinctly
"avian," since they inhabited the earth long before we joined them).

The scientific tendency to suggest that birds could not have these human
emotions, and the conclusion that we should not look at birds as having
parallel interactions that correspond to human ones, was based on
neurological comparative anatomy of the brain done a century ago. It was
thought that birds simply didn't have the right nerve structure to have the
"human" responses. Now it is evident that while the structure of bird brains
looks quite different under the microscope when compared to humans, birds
process information in much the same way that we do - i.e., they apparently
do have the apparatus  present to have emotional reactions to their
environment that are very much like our own. It is not surprising then that
they may exhibit jealousy, rage, pride, passion, joy, sadness, etc., in the
same ways that mammals do.

Do female Grossbeaks make vocalizations that let their mates know they are
"ready" for sex? I would be surprised if they did not. Their vocalizations
are made at frequencies so fast that they have ten times more information in
a short phrase than we do, making it very difficult for us to comprehend.
But my guess is that one day we will find they are saying much more than we
have been led to believe.

David Bingham, MD