[CT Birds] Bluebirds and West Nile

MJPM3 at aol.com MJPM3 at aol.com
Wed May 16 14:43:44 EDT 2007

I  saw this report on excite.com which came from the AP Science  News
The article is  longer than I posted but it goes on to say these birds are
perfectly capable of  rebounding.

West Nile Virus  Decimates Suburban Birds

_Email this Story_ (javascript:eMail_Friend(540, 540);)

May 16, 2:08 PM  (ET)

By SETH BORENSTEIN

(http://apnews.excite.com/image/20070511/West_Nile_Virus.sff_DN109_20070511140334.html?date=20070516&docid=D8P5KHRO0)   (AP)  Byron Chism, a mosquito
technician with Dallas County, sets a  mosquito trap to capture subjects for...
_Full  Image_
(http://apnews.excite.com/image/20070511/West_Nile_Virus.sff_DN109_20070511140334.html?date=20070516&docid=D8P5KHRO0)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Birds that once flourished in suburban skies, including
robins, bluebirds and crows, have been devastated by West Nile virus, a study
found.
Populations of seven species have had dramatic declines across the continent
since West Nile emerged in the United States in 1999, according to a
first-of-its-kind study. The research, to be published Thursday by the journal
Nature, compared 26 years of bird breeding surveys to quantify what had been  known
anecdotally.
"We're seeing a serious impact," said study co-author Marm Kilpatrick, a
senior research scientist at the Consortium of Conservation Medicine in New
York.
West Nile virus, which is spread by mosquito bites, has infected 23,974
people in confirmed cases since 1999, killing 962, according to the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention.
But  the disease, primarily an avian virus, has been far deadlier for birds.
The  death toll for crows and jays is easily in the hundreds of thousands,
based on  the number dead bodies found and extrapolated for what wasn't reported,
 Kilpatrick said.
It hit the seven species - American crow, blue jay, tufted titmouse, American
 robin, house wren, chickadee and Eastern bluebird - hard enough to be
scientifically significant. Only the blue jay and house wren bounced back, in  2005.