[CT Birds] 5/16 - Milford Pt; Western Sandpipers

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:46:09 EDT 2007

>From Nick Bonomo:
5/16 - Milford, Milford Point - 2 WESTERN SANDPIPERS (quite rare in spring)
Stratford, Great Meadows Marsh - WHIMBREL (flyby)

Was very very pleased to come across two Western Sandpipers in a brief
stop at Milford Point. My first spring Westerns in Connecticut. Thanks
to two non-local birders for alerting me to their presence. One bright
bird stuck out like a sore thumb. The other was presumably a
female....much less rufous in upperparts (though the crown and
auriculars were bright) with a classic honkin' bill.

Lots of shorebirds to sort through in several scattered flocks. No
time to count, but several hundred birds were present. No white-rumps
noted but I'd think they were in there somewhere...

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT