[CT Birds] Unusual bluebird behavior

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 17 09:52:59 EDT 2007

As I've mentioned I have two pair of bluebirds at my place approx 70 yards apart from each other.  That's a little close but they rarely interact and all is fine.  We feed our bluebirds that are close to our house but not the pair in the back part of the meadow as we don't want to create any conflict between them.  Here's the unusual part.... the pair in the rear is in fact a trio.... one female and two beautiful adult males that often even hunt from the same branch.  I have not once seen one chase the other away.  I have not spent enough time to see if both are feeding the 5 young in the nest but will try make the time.  I have in past years had a youngster from the first brood help feed the young from the second brood but have never seen or heard of the situation we have here now.  The second adult bluebird out back has been present for at least a few weeks now.  Anyone ever had this situation with bluebirds?

Jim and Carol Zipp

The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature Shop
www.fatrobin.com
Jim Zipp Bird Photography