[CT Birds] Orange-crowned warbler?

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 19 15:51:14 EDT 2007

I would guess from the images such as they are that this may well be a
Philadelphia Vireo. A Tennessee Warbler would have white under-tail coverts.
A Warbling Vireo should have a less strongly marked face, with pale lores, a
less contrasting cap, a somewhat flatter looking crown, and look over-all
more grayish  than these images suggest. Having said that, the quality and
aspect of the images may be misleading on those points (though it isn't a
Tennessee or Orange-crowned Warbler). One feature that seems a bit off for
Philly is the breast which appears very light if not white. As I said this
may simply be an artifiact of the photos but Phillys can be very pale on the
breast in Spring. Still if I had to guess I'd lean toward Philadelphia
Vireo. Did it sound like a Red-eyed? If so than it's a Philly.