[CT Birds] Orange-crowned Warbler

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat May 19 20:35:26 EDT 2007

Seeing as almost everyone is agreeing I thought I'd play devils advocate with much better birders than myself so go easy! Isn't the lack of yellow coloration in the throat seeming to lean toward Warbling Vireo. From the intensity of yellow on this bird it seems the richer yellow areas are the undertail coverts. I was always lead to believe that you looked for intensity of coloration of yellow on these vireos. Philly should be in the throat and yellower in general, Warbling on the undertail coverts and flanks (as with this bird - the throat seems completely white - the undertail coverts pretty bright). With the Warbling (as is the case with this bird), a dark area in the lores can be apparent in as can a seemingly contrasty cap.

 See these Warbling Vireo pics: http://www.featheredfotos.com/spppages/songbirds/warbling%20vireo.html

 Philly: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.featheredfotos.com/WEB/PHVI2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.featheredfotos.com/spppages/songbirds/philadelphia%2520vireo.html&h=262&w=386&sz=37&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=Kpvkbzk6dA2AwM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dphiladelphia%2Bvireo%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

 Luke Tiller
 Wilton