[CT Birds] Summer Tanager

dianetucker01 at comcast.net dianetucker01 at comcast.net
Sun May 20 11:58:53 EDT 2007

This morning as part of the MDC's "Recreation Day" a group took a walk in the Reservoir off Farmington Avenue in West Hartford.  We got ten species of warbler in a short amount of time, including great views of a pair of ovenbirds looking for nesting material.  Also veery, hermit thrush and wood thrush, and scarlet tanager, male and female.   But the best by far was a SUMMER TANAGER (female) foraging in the trees almost directly overhead of the festivities the MDC folk were putting on.  To be fair, she was about 20 feet down the road from the event, but still overhead.  One of the group got some pictures (I don't know about the quality) and I hope he will pass them on to me.  But we got great looks.  Despite the periodic downpour, it was a nice walk!  Diane Tucker